- How to Check for a Leak
How to Check for a Leak
Your Water Meter
You can read your water meter to:
- Confirm the reading on your bill
- Monitor your water use
- Perform a simple check for water leaks
Locating Your Meter
The water meter on your property is usually located in a plastic meter box near the street.
Breakdown of the Water Meter
Most of the Town of Belleair meters look like the one pictured below.
Most Belleair meters have two components:
Dial: The dial will move only when water passes through the meter. Accuracy of the meter declines as the meter ages and its mechanical parts begin to wear allowing water to pass through it without being counted.
Odometer: The odometer records total water use in a similar way as the odometer in your car records miles driven. The meter reads left to right. The odometer does not move if water is not moving through it. We only read the numbers at the thousandth digit and up. We do not read any digits on the black background since we bill only in the thousands.
Checking for a Leak
1. Turn off the water in the house
To check for a leak, first make sure no one is using water at the property. Next, go to the meter and look at the dial.
2. Check if the dial is moving
No, the dial is not moving: There is no water usage being registered at that time
Yes, the dial is moving: Movement is indication that there may be a leak somewhere
3. Determine if the leak is within your home or outside
First, turn off the house valve (usually located against the house in a straight line from the meter)
- If the dial stops moving, this indicates the leak is within the house
- If the dial continues to move, there is a leak in your outside plumbing
- Please note that if you have an irrigation line, this will not indicate that there is not a leak in the irrigation system after the timer
If you are unsure or unable to do these procedures, please contact the Water Department for assistance.
Water DepartmentPhysical Address
107 Belleair Avenue
Belleair, FL 33756
Phone: : (727) 588-3795
Office Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Water Plant Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
7:00 am - 4:30 pm
Saturday - Sunday
6:30 am - 12:30 pm