SRF Funding Opportunities
The Town of Belleair has recently been made aware of federal funding opportunities for Regulatory Compliance and Capital Improvement Projects through the State Revolving Fund (SRF) administered by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP). A special Commission meeting will held on Tuesday, November 7 at 5:30pm to discuss these projects. Public input at this meeting will be critical.
The first project is referred to as the federal EPA's Lead and Copper Rule Revision, to wit, "all public water systems are required to submit an initial service line inventory as part of their system by October 16, 2024. When all lines are identified, replacement of TOWN service laterals will commence until all identified lines have been replaced."
To comply with this mandate, the town has applied to the FDEP for, and received approval for, Request for Inclusion on the Drinking Water Priority List. The first part of the project is for the Planning and Design portion of the requirement in the amount of $250,000.00, 49% of which is principal forgiveness ($122,500.00) and the remaining 51% (127,500.00) would be repaid by the Town under SRF loan policies. The second portion of the project will be construction required to do the replacement of the lines and the amount currently approved for construction activities is $5,335,440.00. As with the Planning and Design portion, 49% would be principal forgiveness and 51% would be repaid by the Town under SRF loan policies.
The Town must receive approval from the Commission to enter into an agreement with the FDEP to receive this funding. Applications and supporting documentation must be submitted to the FDEP by November 10, 2023, to receive approval for the last funding cycle of the year, The next funding cycle approval date is in March of 2024. Paperwork is being completed in support of this effort.
The second project is referred to as the Emerging Contaminants or Water Treatment Plant project. The SRF is authorized to provide funds at 100% principal forgiveness for projects that meet the criteria for design and construction of Drinking Water Plants to deal with Emerging Contaminants, including PFAS. To take advantage of this unique program, administered by the FDEP but funded by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Act of 2021, the Town has applied for, and received approval for, Request for Inclusion on the Drinking Water Priority List. The total funding for this project is currently $3,097,590.00 for design and $27,122,810.00 for construction. The only cost to the Town for this project would be 2% of the total cost for design and construction.
The Town must receive approval from the Commission to enter into an agreement with the FDEP to receive this funding. Applications and supporting documentation must be submitted to the FDEP by November 10, 2023, to receive approval for the last funding cycle of the year. The next funding cycle approval date is in March of 2024. Paperwork is being completed in support of this effort.
Notice of Special Commission Meeting
The Town Commission will hold a special meeting to consider the approval of the loan application for the proposed Town of Belleair Water Facility Plan. This hearing will include a discussion of the Water Facility Plan and the financial impact on system users. The hearing is intended to afford the opportunity to individuals to be heard on the economic and social effects of the location, design, and environmental impact of the water system improvements.
Funding for this project is anticipated to come from the State Revolving Fund (SRF) loan program. Financial impacts on utility users will be presented at the hearing.
The hearing for the above referenced proposal will be held at the Belleair Town Hall, 901 Ponce de Leon Boulevard, Belleair, Florida on: Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 5:30 PM
Copies of the Reports, documents and data relevant to the discussion are available in full at the Belleair Town Hall, 901 Ponce de Leon Boulevard, Belleair, Florida where the same may be inspected by the public.
All interested parties are invited to attend and be heard. The hearing(s) may be continued from time to time as deemed necessary. Persons are advised that if they decide to appeal any decision made at the hearing(s), they will need records of these proceedings and for such purposes they may need to ensure that verbatim records of the proceedings are made, which records include the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be based.
If you are a person with a disability requiring reasonable accommodation to participate in this proceeding/event, please call (727)588-3769 x 312 or email email@example.com. The Town requests at least 72 hours advance notice prior to the scheduled proceeding, and every effort will be made to provide that service for you.